- Saturday, October 29th, 2:00 pm to 3:15 pm
- Iberian A, Omni La Mansión
- Laura HelmuthHealth, science & environment editor, the Washington Post
- Adam RogersDeputy editor, Wired
- Jamie ShreeveDeputy Editor in Chief, National Geographic
- Cynthia Graber
In science journalism, men outnumber women on mastheads, awards, and compilations. But we wanted to know: what about magazine articles? So we counted.
In 2015, volunteers with the Science Byline Counting project tallied eight months of bylines in 11 popular science publications. We found that women were nearly equally represented in bylines overall — but when it came to the higher profile, meatier, career-enhancing feature articles, male writers outnumbered women nearly two to one. Now, hard numbers in hand, we’re bringing together a group of editors to discuss the problem and brainstorm with attendees to propose solutions. Social media hashtag: #bylinesproject