- Sunday, October 30th, 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm
- Iberian, Omni la Mansión del Rio
- Curt GuyetteInvestigative reporter, American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan
- Siddhartha RoyEnvironmental engineer and PhD candidate, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- LeeAnne Walters
- Deborah BlumDirector, Knight Science Journalism Program at MIT
The scandal over lead contamination of the Flint, Mich., water system, left in its wake huge questions for public officials, scientists and journalists. The Flint situation was exposed and addressed through the work of a vocal citizen, a journalist working for the ACLU, and a small group of scientists in Virginia. The protagonists in the Flint story will join us for a discussion of how both scientists and journalists failed to uncover what was happening to Flint's water supply, why the same scenario is likely to play out again, and the role of science writers in complex public health issues.
Social media hashtag: #nextflint